The Import process can be used to mass link records together such as linking People or Parties to Contract records. After the Import process is complete the records are linked and can be viewed within the corresponding tab at the bottom of the concerned record(s). This feature can be useful not only when you are initially entering your contract data but also can help you to adjust records without having to do so one by one, such as replacing a linked Person to another for specific Contracts.
Follow the existing process for the creation an Import Template, when the CSV file is created it must be completed as per a normal CSV file but will contain specific fields to provide the linked information.
Order of Imports
The order in which you process your Imports must follow a logical flow, you will need to have already Imported you base data such as Parties, People and Contracts before you start Importing links. The initial recommended flow is as follows:
- People with link to a Party
- People link to a Contract - this will automatically link the Persons Party to the Contract
- Party link to a Contract
- Contract Documents link to a Contract
Creating a New Link
Using the example of linking a Person to a Contract you would generate a CSV file for 'Contract People'. This CSV file will display all the fields currently displayed on the linked Person pop up screen.
Fig 1 - Person Link form
You must now complete the CSV file with the corresponding information. You will need to populate the ID or the Original System Reference (OSR) rather than Peoples Names or Contract Titles, this ensures that the correct records have been linked together.
TIP: If you do not know the ID's or Original System References you require then you can find it on the original record, please refer to ID & Original System References on how to locate them.
You can either enter the ID AND the Original System References or just enter one, the below example only references the OSR. As the Contract and Person ID and OSR columns are mandatory (*) you can delete the columns you have left blank from the CSV file before Import.
Fig 2 - Linked People CSV file
- Transaction Type - A (Add) to create a new link
- Original System Reference - Unique identifier for the LINKED record, if this is an A (Add) record then the User can optionally populate this column value with a manual reference, if left blank the system will generate a unique reference
- Contract Original System Reference - OSR of the Contract record you wish to link the Person to - User must enter the correct reference
- Person Original System Reference - OSR of the Person record - User must enter the correct reference
- Role - Selection from the field 'Role' Value Set (must be an exact match)
- Primary - Checkbox value of Y
- Signatory - Checkbox value of N
- Comments - Not applicable so left blank
- Security Groups - Left blank to allow the default of 'Everyone (rw)' to populate
The above CSV file when Imported will now link Person record Bu0CZ3pdrFCLH6d to Contract record OuQJHnQQVvlZjEs, you will be able to open the Contract and the Person will be displayed in the People link tab.
One to Many Links
There will be occasions where you will have a one to many association, such as multiple Contract Documents to be linked to one Contract The CSV file should reflect this by having multiple corresponding rows.
Fig 3 - One Contract to many Documents link
The above CSV will link the five Contract Documents to the single Contract record.
Modifying Existing Links
If you wish to modify existing links then you can generate a populated linked CSV file, make the required adjustments, and Import the adjusted CSV files back in.
The example below is a populated Person link CSV (Contract People) this file displays all the People who are currently linked to a Contract.
Fig 4 - Existing Linked People CSV file
To remove existing links you would first remove any rows that are not to be altered. Then update the remaining rows to have a Transaction Type of D (Delete) - when Imported, these links would then be removed.
Fig 5 - Deleting Existing Links
To add new links you would first remove any rows that are not to be altered. Then update the remaining rows to have a Transaction Type of A (Add) and modify the Person ID & OSR to the new Person - when Imported, this new Person will then be linked to all these Contracts.
Fig 6 - Adding new People Links
This process can be used in all cases where records can be linked, the ID and the Original System References are used to create the link to other records. These fields will also appear within a CSV file if an Entity Link Type field has been placed on a form.