The Import process provides an interface that allows the quick creation of multiple User records into Intelligentcontract.
If you have a large number of Users that need to be created in your account, you should use the User import process rather than using the interface to type in the details of each User one by one.
The User import is similar to all the other imports (e.g. for importing contracts, people etc) but the following points should be noted when importing Users.
1. A joining notification email will not be sent to the User at the point their user account is created. You will either have to:
- Inform each user of the temporary password that was assigned to their account. On first login they will be required to change this temporary password to something of their own choosing; or
- Ask each user to request a "forgotten password" link from the login page. This will require them to know their username (generally their email address).
2. The import process does not stop you allocating a licence to each User created when you have reached your subscription limit. It may be that after the Users have been imported, you do not have enough purchased licences for all the Users that you have created. In this situation, your account will be placed into "limited status" (see My Account is "Limited". What does this mean?).
Note: This does not apply to a concurrent usage or unlimited Users account - with these types of accounts you are able to create and licence as many Users as required.
Note: The User Import functionality does not allow for Transaction Type values of D - Delete. User records are required for Audit trial purposes so cannot be deleted, if a user should not have access to the account then you can remove their licence by assigning the value of 'N' in the Assign Licence column.
Creating new Users via Import
First generate a template csv file for you to complete, navigate to:
Configuration=>Manage Data = >Import
Select the template option of 'Users' from the drop-down list and press [Next], you will be presented with the Upload Data File screen.
Here you can generate a Blank, Populated or with Example csv file, select 'Populated' and then press [Generate] - your csv file will be sent to the Batch Queue screen.
Fig 1 - Generating a User csv file
Your csv file will contain rows for any existing Users that have been created for the account, the example below shows these values in green.
You are able to adjust the existing User information if required by using a transaction type value of M - Modification, you can adjust names and email addresses, alter User access i.e. switch from Full User to a Read Only, remove or add Administrator rights or even remove an assigned licence.
Fig 2 - Populated User csv file
Note: You are unable to remove a licence from a Key User, if tried an error will appear during Import validation
Along with modification you can add new Users to your account, using the Transaction Type of A - Add.
- List all the new Users that are required at the bottom of the file.
- Leave blank the ID and original system reference columns, the system will generate new references for these new Users.
- Mandatory requirements are the First and Last Name and Username, a Username is normally their email address
- Security Group allocation will default to 'Everyone (rw)' meaning that the User you are creating will have access to all records. If you have already created specific Security Groups and wish to allocate a new User to that group, so that they only see records allocated to that group enter the Security group reference here (along with the (rw/ro) preferences). To learn more about Security Groups click here
Note: Import validation will fail if you have entered the same Username multiple times.
- Place a 'Y' or 'N' value in the Administrator, Assign Licence and Read Only columns
Note: If you set the Administrator and Read Only columns to 'N' for a but Assign License to 'Y', this will create a Full User record with full read/write capabilities.
- Add a Start and/or End Date if applicable
- Copy the Security Group value 'Everyone (rw) to the new lines
The Shadow and Supervisor columns can only be populated with User values that already exist. User values that have a Transaction Type of M - Modification allocated to them can be selected to be added as a Shadow or Supervisor to another User.
The below example shows that Bill Jones is to be shadowed by Susan Blue and Steph Williams Supervisor is to be John Green.
Fig 3 - Shadow & Supervisors
- Copy the original system reference of the Shadow or Supervisor and place in the appropriate column - the Shadow and Supervisor ID values can be left blank.
If you have a requirement to have a New User Shadow or Supervise another User then you must first create the new User and then do a M- Modification update to do this allocation (2 Imports). Click here for more information regarding Shadow and Supervisor features.
Once you have completed your csv file, then Import, map and validate as normal, any errors will be displayed for you to adjust accordingly.
Once completed all your New users will be created and the system will have created a Person record for each of these new Users. Any modifications to user records will be processed.
Note: When a user Import takes place and new Person records are created, their Person record will have the field Communication Enabled? set to 'No' - this will need to be updated to say 'Yes' to allow system generated emails to be sent to this new User such as Notes or Alerts.
Creating Users via the Import process does NOT trigger the automatic joining email that is sent out when manually creating Users. Once you have created these Users via import it is recommended that you ask your Users to click on the Forgotten password option in the Sign In screen to trigger this email, once they have reset their password they will have access to the account.